Making Up For Lost Time

« Back to Home

2 Things Your Car Accident Attorney Will Need

Posted on

Getting injured in a car accident through no fault of your own can be really frustrating. If you end up with a lot of injuries, medical bills, and lost wages, you may not know what to do. The insurance companies and all the other involved drivers may not want to give you the money that you deserve for your pain and injuries. When that happens, you need to have some help. That's when it's time to contact a personal injury attorney. If you are going to hire an attorney, you need to give them several things to help them win your case for you. 

Signed Medical Releases 

One thing that you should provide your attorney is the chance to talk to all the doctors involved in your care. The way to do that is to fill out medical releases to give to your various doctors. The releases will allow your doctors to answer any questions that the attorney may have. Otherwise, they can't answer any of the questions that your lawyer asks. When you sign the release forms, you can specify who the doctor can talk to, what they can talk about, and how long they have the ability to talk to them. For example, you can list your attorney's name and say that the doctor can only share information about your accident and only for the next year. 

Your Side of the Story

Your attorney will need to know your side of the story. The best way to do that is to write it down as soon as possible. The more time that passes between your accident and writing down what happened, the more likely it is that details are going to get blurry. The thing with human memory is that your brain will start to fill in blank spaces in your memory and slightly change things around. You don't know that this is happening because it is an automatic thing that happens to everyone, but that's why you need to write your story down as soon as possible. After you have written everything down and got your story straight on paper, you can always write up a short synopsis of it to give to your attorney. 

If you have been in a car accident and been injured through no fault of your own, you should call a personal injury attorney. A lawyer who works with these kinds of cases should be able to help you get what you are entitled to from the other drivers or insurance companies.